Monday, June 26, 2006

Is Canada Accepting New Residents?

I don't think I can live in this country anymore. Toronto was a nice city, maybe I can find a place to live and write there. Or I can do something else. Whatever Canada needs - just get me out of here until 2008 and possibly longer.

If You're Canadian, Come & Get Me!

I'm single and looking for love. Here are my qualifications for marriage:
  • I make a mean dump cake
  • I can do laundry without turning whites pink
  • I have child-bearing hips, which may or may not prove useful in childbirth
  • I can read maps
  • I know all the words to Sir Mix-A-Lot's Baby Got Back

Things That Make Me Go Ugh (slight C&C Music Factory reference)

Dubya's whining about the fact that we have a free press in the United States. Hmmm, amazingly our Constitution has a First Amendment. In case you forget, here it is:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

This means:

  • I don't have to be Christian if I don't want to be Or I can be Muslim or Hindu or a Scientologist or nothing

  • I can bad mouth the government as much as I want and not be arrested for it

  • The press can bad mouth the government as much as it wants and not be shut down

  • I can peacefully protest things I don't like - which could include burning the American flag

  • I can send Dubya emails saying I think he stinks and not be arrested

My favorite quote in the article:

For people to leak that program and for a newspaper to publish it does great harm to the United States of America, Bush said, jabbing his finger for emphasis. He said the disclosure of the program makes it harder to win this war on terror.

Here's why it's my favorite quote:

  • You can't win a war with an idea. Terror is an idea, not a tangible object, person or place. What constitutes terror?

  • I am grateful that people leak crappy stuff the government does so we know what the heck is going on and I'm doubly grateful that newspapers are finally reporting this stuff. Who knows what else this man is doing in our name?

I wonder how Bush has managed to not be impeached. Give me Clinton dropping trou in the Oval Office any day!

Another Ugh Moment

The Senate is trying to pass a Constitutional amendment banning flag burning.

I will admit, I have never burned a flag in my life, but I'd like to know I could if I wanted to. I just hate this pandering to the conservative right. It doesn't even make sense - aren't these the religious folks. Shouldn't they be against worshipping an object? (The flag)

It just honks me off that we can't even pass an Equal Rights Amendment saying men and women are equal, yet we can waste our time with this ridiculousness. Who's even out there burning flags? Is this that pressing of an issue?

No comments: