Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Damn Sexist Pigs!

I'm super peeved. I'm sick of people writing dumb man-centric relationship books specifically targeting insecure 20-something girls. I absolutely hated the idea of the book He's Just Not That Into You or whatever that dumb thing was called. It made me want to write the book Maybe We're Not That Into Him Either but then someone beat me to the punch.

I still remember my old roommate making me read The Rules, which included such gems as "wear lipstick when you jog," "never talk on the phone for more than 15 minutes" and "never accept a date after Wednesday."

Now there's a new book: "How To Date Men: Dating Secrets from America's Top Matchmaker." I was reading some of the excerpts and I'm offended that a woman would write such trash.

Here are the two highlights:
  • If you find dating difficult you're either too picky or you're doing something wrong
  • 90% of the time, if a set-up doesn't work, it's because the guy isn't attracted or interested in the girl

Why is it always about what the woman does wrong? Sometimes the guy just sucks.

Here's my beef: I don't think dating difficulties have anything to do with anyone doing anything wrong. I think it's all about timing...either you're in the right state of mind for a relationship and he's not or he's in the right state and you're not or you both are and it works out.

There's no magic one-size-fits-all formula. The idea that you're doing something 'wrong' is asinine. Unless you're sitting outside his house at 3 a.m. making a painting of him out of your blood- and even then, goth guys might dig it.

I'm going to write a relationship book and it's going to tell women that you're better off being single than dating a dumbass.

And why are there no stereotypes for guys who live alone with cats? The inequality of it all!

No comments: