Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What Happened to Giving Things a Try?

There's one thing I don't understand -- . how can people say they're uncomfortable doing something when they haven't even tried? For instance, people who don't want to go places by themselves or try new activities by themselves.

I am far from the bravest woman on earth, but there's no way in hell I would let a little uncomfortableness get in my way. There are two exceptions. I don't like seeing movies in theaters by myself because I feel like a pervert and would rather watch the movie at home. I also don't like going to bars by myself because guys think I'm there to pick them up for a one-night-stand.

Here are some things I HAVE done by myself:
  • Walked around Times Square at night
  • Walked across downtown Columbus at night
  • Taken bellydancing lessons
  • Did a fitness boot camp
  • Joined a gym
  • Drove to Virginia and Indiana to visit friends
  • Ate brunch, lunch and dinner in restaurants
  • Went to a Kasey Chambers concert
  • Flew to Japan
  • Drove to Indiana to knock on doors for Barack Obama
  • Made phone calls for Barack Obama

To be honest, I was absolutely petrified to do all of those things.

I certainly didn't want to travel internationally for the first time by myself, but if I hadn't I wouldn't have gone. I also didn't want to knock on strangers' doors or call random strangers on the phone for Barack Obama, but that's what his campaign needed me to do. My first few door knocks and phone calls were HORRIBLE. Now, I'm training people how to do it and managing 150 volunteers over the next week.

Yes, when you try something new, it's scary and uncomfortable for a few moments. However, what are a few minutes of uncomfortableness when the results are worth it?

1 comment:

hillsideslide said...

GREAT POST! Thanks for sharing! I am trying some things myself and it can be uncomfy at the get-go... but it gets wayyy better. :D