Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Don't Be Hilarious...No, Seriously

I recently ordered Perfect Strangers - Season 1 & 2  from Netflix and anxiously awaited its arrival, knowing it would bring back all the hilarity of my youth. What's not to love about a young rural foreign shepherd moving in with his swingin' bachelor cousin in Chicago?

Sadly, Balki Bartokomous has lost all his magical appeal. His heavy faux accent and signature phrase, "Don't be ridiculous" are no longer funny.  In fact, I don't even find Cousin Larry's straight man humor funny anymore.

I've unfortunately been doing impressions of this show at parties for years without realizing how not funny it is.  No wonder I don't get invited to more parties.

I feel just as betrayed as when I revisited ALF.  That's another show that was hilarious in my youth and depressingly unfunny in my adulthood.  

Or maybe now that I'm old, I've lost my sense of humor. No, that's not it.  I'm a barrel of monkeys!

1 comment:

hillsideslide said...

Hm, I think Alf has held up pretty well.

Try doing an Alf imitation at your next party and see how that goes.

May I suggest: "No problem-o" or "Ha! I KILL me!"