Sunday, January 18, 2009

What a Snatch!

One of my good friends has developed the hilarious habit of calling pretty much everyone a snatch.  Yes, it's a disgusting word and could get my friend fired if she utters it at the wrong time, however, it cracks me up!

That's the exact phrase she said after I finished telling her this story, and I have to say, I couldn't have put it better!

My cousin recently went to the eye doctor. Lo and behold, his eye doctor was my best friend from high school.  We were also close throughout college although we went to different schools.  Unfortunately, we made the mistake of living together after we graduated. 

Some people just shouldn't live together, which is fine.  She never talked to me again after she moved out, however, which I personally found weird.  

The Background

To be fair, I don't think either of us were at our bests when we lived together - I was making no money, working two jobs, depressed, lonely, shy, fat, zitty and quite frankly, finding it very hard to be an independent woman at age 22.  Most of my friends had moved to different towns.  I was far from family. It was a rough time and I remember being extremly unhappy.

My friend was away from friends and family for the first time and struggling though graduate school.  Instead of being the star student like she had been her whole life, she was just average.  And since her parents' savings and her grad loans covered all her bills, she didn't understand how hard I found it to keep afloat. 

Back to the Main Story

Anyway, when my cousin saw my best friend from high school's  diploma, he mentioned that I had graduated from the same school.  When he said my name, she said "Oh yeah, I graduated with her."

"Oh yeah, I graduated with her." 

No - "Wow, we were really good friends but lost touch - how's she doing?"  "Oh, we vacationed together/ lived together/ went to each 0ther's family functions - how's she doing?"  "Oh yeah - I remember you.  I've been inside your house.  How's everyone doing?"

Nope - I was simply one of the 500 students she graduated with.

I don't care if I ran into someone who was related to someone I HATED.  I would still say that I knew the person and ask how they were doing.  Even if I didn't care in the least, I would still ask how they were doing.  It's just the polite thing to do. 

For instance, David Smith called me Bugs Bunny and Bertha Bow-Wow-Ers.  On top of that, he would moo at me every morning when I got on the bus.  If I ran into his cousin, I would say "Oh yeah, we rode the bus together.  What's he up to?"  I detest David Smith - and I would still ask that.

Ugh.

No comments: