Sunday, July 11, 2010

People Are Dumb

I am fascinated by how nasty people are on the Internet. It's like an opportunity for people to come unleashed so they can say and do things they would never do in person. Have you ever read the Amazon reviews? People are horrid.

I do occasionally write not-so-nice things, but people know who I am, so I'm not anonymous. I also never write/say anything I wouldn't be willing to say to someone's face.

My latest beef comes with Shiloh Jolie-Pitt. As annoying as I find the adults in that family, I think Shiloh is adorable. I don't understand people's obsession with her clothing and appearance. Yes, she dresses like a boy and has a boyish hair cut. She has two older brothers, people!

I can't believe people who interview Angelina Jolie waste their time with questions about how Shiloh is a tomboy. I would be asking stuff like "Are you an alien sent to Earth to make us feel bad about how plain we are?" or "Do you just spend hours gazing at yourself in the mirror?" or "Could you gain some weight and grow a mustache already so Simon will find you less attractive?"

People on the US Weekly message boards were saying that Shiloh will be confused when she grows up and that she needs to be disciplined so she knows she's a girl.

I'm sorry - I don't know that I even owned a dress when I was a little kid. I wore overalls and jeans and t-shirts. I was always riding my Big Wheel around, climbing trees, catching insects and playing ball. My hair was always messy and straggly. When it wasn't short, it was pulled up in some sort of pony tail. My only friends were boys. In fact, I was convinced that the only reason I was a girl was because I peed sitting down. I did try to pee standing up, but it didn't work out so well for me.

You can be a tomboy and turn out just fine. In fact, no matter how Shiloh grows up she'll be just fine. I'm sick of people putting their kids into little boxes - if you're a girl, you have to be this way. If you're a boy, you have to be this way. Just be however you want. We can't all be Suri Cruise. Some of us need to be Shilohs too.

No comments: