Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Great Unfriending

I'm so sad. A relative is in the middle of a divorce. His obnoxious soon-to-be ex-wife is a shameless facebook poster - every single post is a form of verbal diarrhea (cha-cha-cha) and she often posts pictures of herself doing body shots on other women. Of course, once she asked for the divorce, she promptly unfriended her husband's entire family...except me. She forgot that I changed my name after I got married.

For the past month, I've been able to see all of her entertaining posts - usually referring to ungodly amounts of consumed alcohol or begging for sympathy because she's going through a "rough time." I've been logging her posts and sending them to family members for archival purposes because if there's ever been anyone more unfitting to be a mother, it's her.

(Can you tell I've never been a fan? I remember attending her wedding and watching her stand on a table, chugging a wine cooler. Classy!)

Anyway, the jig is up. She finally figured out who I was - she must have stumbled across my name or my photo so we are officially no longer friends. Unfortunately, I am my grandmother's granddaughter and my mother's daughter, which means I'm extremely nosy. So, this saddens me greatly.

And I'm most sad because there have been so many times I wanted to write "Stop being such a whore" on her wall and I stopped myself because my family needed me to spy. Now, I'll no longer have the opportunity to do that. I can only write "stop being a whore" here and it won't matter because she doesn't even know this blog exists.

Speaking of Unfriending

In general, I think Facebook is like high school and the rampant unfriending/friending I've noticed is a loud and blaring symptom. The only people I've consciously unfriended are ex-boyfriends and this one girl from high school who posted every single racist rumor about President Obama that she could think of.

On the other hand, I've been unfriended numerous times. Well, four - that I know of.

1) A girl I went to high school with - I actually have no idea why she unfriended me unless she got sick of my cat posts but since I haven't spoken to her in years, it wasn't cause for concern.

2&3) My two "friends" I wrote a nasty blog post about earlier this year. That wasn't a real shocker. Yes, I shouldn't have written the blog post, but they shouldn't have given me the material.

4) My relative's soon-to-be ex-wife.

Since I have absolutely no face-to-face contact with any of these people, I honestly don't care. (Well, I ran into #2 at the gym recently and she pretended I didn't exist. I thought that was ridiculous, so I forced a hello.) But from a 'wanting to nib-nose in their lives' perspective, I'm bummed.

No comments: