Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Read Bossypants

I absolutely love Tina Fey. I loved her on Saturday Night Live. The movies she's made are some of my favorites -- Mean Girls, Date Night, Baby Mama. I watch 30 Rock religiously. I'm a fan.

I like that she embraces being a little nerdy. She shows girls that you can be smart, sexy, funny and successful without flashing your boobies.

I recently checked out Bossypants at the library. Run to your local library and check it out for yourself. It's hysterical. I kept giggling to myself while reading.

My favorite lines:

  • I remember watching Three's Company as a little brown-haired kid thinking "Really? This is what we get? Joyce DeWitt is our brunet representative? She's got that greasy-looking bowl cut and they make her wear suntan pantyhose under her football jersey nightshirt."

  • When I read fairy tales to my daughter, I always change the word "blond" to "yellow," because I don't want her to think that blond hair is somehow better.

  • I was ten years old. I had noticed something was weird earlier in the day, but I knew from commercials that one's menstrual period was a blue liquid that you poured like laundry detergent onto maxi pads to test their absorbency. This wasn't blue, so ...I ignored it for a few hours.

  • Once your hair and makeup are done, you'll slip into your first look. It will definitely be one of the dresses that didn't even come close to fitting you, so Lot's Wife will bridge the gap with a thick piece of white elastic and some safety pins. Don't ever feel inadequate when you look at magazines. Just remember that every person you see on a cover has a bra and underwear hanging out a gaping hole in the back. Everyone. Heidi Klum, The Olsen Twins, David Beckham, everybody.

No comments: