Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cooking Hits & Misses - June!

I've had a lazy cooking month -- lots of pre-made, packaged food. (No wonder my scales are making me miserable!)

Hit of the month was definitely the Sesame Fish. It was delish!

Phenomenal (would make again)
  • Sesame Fish (17 Day Diet book) -- This is an official 17 Day Diet recipe (cycle 1). It was really yummy --a definite repeater!
  • Beet, Goat Cheese & Arugula Salad (Giada De Laurentis) -- I got some beets in my CSA. I hate the nasty pickled magenta things in the salad bar but I've never tried roasted beets before. They are so much better roasted. And really, goat cheese is one of those ingredients that will always make me happy - no matter what!
Great (probably would make again)
  • Roasted Kohlrabi (All Recipes) -- Another CSA-inspired recipe! These veggies look like space aliens, but they're pretty yummy!
  • Strawberry Ricotta Popsicles (My Baking Addiction blog) I thought these were really tasty - Simon thought they needed more sugar!
  • Baked Sesame Noodles with Chicken (Cooking Light) -- Inspired by my CSA...Simon liked this better than I did.
  • Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (The Perfect Scoop) -- This was my very first attempt at making ice cream. It was tasty, but it was a little complicated to make with the vanilla bean and all that stuff. I did lighten the mix a little bit - I couldn't justify heavy cream so I subbed half-and-half.
Eh (wouldn't make again)
  • Double Chocolate Pie (Kraft) -- It was easy to make, but just OK tasting. I wasn't so great at assembling it, so mine looked like a hot mess.
  • PB & Sesame Raspberry Pops (Pops!) -- I thought these were a little gross, but it's probably because I subbed almond butter for the peanut butter.
Blech (never ever will I make it again)
  • Absolute Best Turkey Meatloaf (17 day diet cookbook 2) -- This was about as far away from absolutely best as you can get. We ended up ordering pizza!

No comments: