Monday, May 29, 2006

I finally got to do some reading!

One of the best parts of having time off is getting to read books! I've recently finished three:

Laura Levine's The PMS Murder - Although this isn't "great" literature in any sense of this word, Laura Levine's Jaine Austen mystery series is hilarious. It took me about an hour to read this book and I was laughing out loud throughout the book. Jaine's parents are a hoot and I definitely feel for the odd situations she gets caught in. There aren't enough overweight, 30-something, divorced, poor, super sleuths who own cats named Prozac in this world, if you ask me.

Amanda Quick's Second Sight - I have read every single one of Amanda Quick's book. They keep getting worse and I keep reading them. What I like about them is that unlike a typical historical romance, the heroine is usually a bookish, headstrong spinster who bucks society trends and leads a surprisingly free life. She always tempts a strong, handsome, cold, woman-avoiding man into matrimony. (Although usually the heroine's not interested in marriage, she'd rather live in sin.) The author has been adding some dull secret society into her books - although I love the characters, the subplot is annoying.

James Swanson's Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer - Yes - I know, the one non-fluffy book in the bunch (and the one that took me the longest to read!) This book was fascinating - I thought I knew a lot about Lincoln. (After all, I slept with his flashcard under my pillow). I learned so much about the aftermath of Lincoln's death - and that his death was part of a wider conspiracy. The vice president and secretary of state were also supposed to be assassinated the same night. And, this is going to be a move - apparently starring Harrison Ford (as the hero who led the manhunt, not as John Wilkes Booth!).

4 comments:

amymvt said...

I didnt know there was a new laura levine book--I've got to read it! did you buy or borrow?

Eljabo said...

Howdy Mama T! I borrowed it from the library. I don't have to turn it in for awhile if you want to read it.

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»