Sunday, May 07, 2006

It's Sunday and I Still Haven't Accomplished Jack Squat

This blog is beginning to remind me of the diary I started when I was 9 (and never wrote in). For an entire month, I wrote "nothing to report today." Oh well...the good news is, I'm not doing that here!

New York, New York
I went to New York City last week for work nd actually got to see a bit of the city. We had dinner in Greenwich Village. If I had my life to live over again (and was either rich or devastatingly brilliant), I would go to NYU - what a fun campus! I kept looking for one of the Olsen twins (I think Ashley goes there...sad as it is that I know that and their names) but no famous twins were to be found. I saw no famous people, period.

We went to a local bar for a drink after dinner, where I was chatted up by some pervy 42 year old man. What part of "I have a boyfriend" means "Yes, I do want to have sex with you ... right now, on this bar." He kept telling me all about his unit (ick) and wanted me to give him my phone number. I wish I knew judo - I don't think throwing a few leaning left hips from bellydancing class would have stopped him.

This Week in the Theatre
This weekend, I've seen United 93. I didn't want to see this movie in a theatre because I knew I would cry. Ed was dead set against seeing either of my choices: Mission Impossible 3 and Stick It. So I decided I would see United 93 and practice the "anti-crying" technique - staring in one spot without blinking while breathing deeply - that worked so well for me in high school.

It was amazing - I did get a little teary (I knew I was in trouble when my eyes welled 10 minutes into the movie). It's really intense. You feel like you're on another planet when it's over. I thought it was very respectful and tasteful. I stayed across from Ground Zero when I was in NY and have a better idea of the enormity of what happened (although obviously not the same as those who live there). It's hard to get a true feel living in Ohio.

I also watched Mrs. Henderson Presents from my Netflix subscription - loved it! Mrs. Henderson is similar to what I would like to be when I'm in my 70's - crazy, outspoken and encouraging public nudity wherever I go!

Tales From My Kitchen
I've given up on my Rachael Ray cookbook after a slew of resounding misses (and because I'm getting fat - not Rachael Ray's fault - I was getting fat before I started cooking her stuff, but her recipes aren't healthy!) I am resorting to my homemade cookbook that contains hundreds of recipes pulled from weight loss websites.

Today, I made Lindrusso's Magnificent Marinara, from the Cooking Light Bulletin Boards. I used it on top of a few slices of polenta and it was pretty good. It was maybe a shade too heavily spiced - I halved the recipe, so probably should have adapted the spices better. Still, it was very rich and hearty tasting. Yummy!

Here's the recipe:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3-4 medium onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup cup dry red wine (I misplaced my corkscrew, so subbed with water)
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed with the blade of a knife (I used Trader Joe's frozen crushed garlic cubes
  • 3 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes (or 2 28-ounce cans crushed and 2 14-ounce cans diced if you want a bit more chunkiness) (I did the crushed and diced)
  • 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
  • pinch of crushed red pepper or more to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Heat oil in a Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add chopped onions and 1 tablespoon sugar. Sauté onions for 30-45 minutes, or until sweet and caramelized. As the pan dries while onions are cooking, add red wine as needed. Once onions are done, continue to add the rest of the ingredients. Stir until well-combined. Simmer over low heat for 4-6 hours (you can simmer for less, but I would simmer for at least 1-2 hours). Stir often to keep the sauce from burning or getting overcooked. Makes about 9 cups of sauce.

I halved the recipe - so I only simmered for 2 hours. It seemed like plenty of time!

No comments: