Thursday, June 08, 2006

Red Beans & Rice Didn't Miss Her!

Hopefully you recognized the line from the ever-popular Baby Got Back by Sir Mix-a-Lot. "I like big butts and I can not lie..."

I haven't posted a recipe in awhile and since I had a successful cooking experience last night, I thought I'd share.

In honor of Sir Mix-a-Lot, I made New Orleans Red Beans and Rice (actually, I just had the ingredients on hand). In case you want to try it, I recommend! It's pretty filling with the monstrous amounts of fiber. Here's the recipe (if you count points, it's 6!):

New Orleans Red Beans and Rice

  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 2 tsp sunflower oil (I used olive oil)
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (1 lb) red-sodium boneless ham steak, trimmed of al visible fat and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I used 1/2 lb of diced ham - I'm lazy!)
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tsp Cajun seasoning (I used 2.5 tsp - I like spice!)
  • 1/2 cup red-sodium chicken broth

Cook rice according to package directions; omitting any fat. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, (3-4 minutes.) Add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown, (4-5 mins.) Add the beans and Cajun seasoning; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, (1-2 mins.) Add the broth and cook until the liquid is almost completely absorbed (another 2 mins) and serve over rice. (I actually added the rice to the pan and then added the chicken broth. Pouring stuff over rice creeps me out.)

NOTE: My Red Beans & Rice didn't quite look like that one. Imagine something much more disgusting-looking, without the fancy, schmancy cornbread triangle and without the salad. I still haven't learned to make attractive food.

Writer Job Update

I sent in my resume and writing samples for the website writer job. Keep your fingers crossed. I have high hopes, but low expectations.

Side note, I'm thinking of changing my blog title. I might strike out the word Former. I'm not feeling very svelte (just old and haggard).

I Read Another Book - Woo Hoo!

If you've never read Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity mystery series, you're in for a real treat. Although none of the books classify as great literature, they're kind of like a warm, cozy blanket. The book is set in rural England, the characters are likeable and the story lines are well-connected.

The one I finished is Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin. The first book is Aunt Dimity's Death.

I'm Reconsidering the Whole 'Hook Me Up With a Tattooed Republican' Thing

Have any of you been paying attention to Ann Coulter? I know, I know - why would you? This whole 'Witches of East Brunswick' thing is ticking me off. In case you missed it, Ann Coulter had the nerve to write in her latest book that some of the 9/11 widows were playing politics with their grief. She actually wrote:

I’ve never seen people enjoying their husbands’ deaths so much.

How mean is that? Yes, because most people are happy when loved ones die so they can make a political point. What a witch. He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named once said that Republicans are just plain mean. I think he might be right!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS headline, which I recognized the lyric right away - it's a wonderful one... annoyingly catchy tune. "Turn around, stick it out, even white boys got to shout, baby got back!" Thanks for making me sing this song all day while I'm supposed to be working. I'm sending good thoughts your way for the writer job! I think you're made for this!