Saturday, August 05, 2006

Boring Saturday Nights Are OK By Me

My date canceled on me tonight but it was actually for an OK reason. He was supposed to work from 5 a.m. to noon but ended up having to stay until 5 p.m. I'd be pretty dang tired too (and have been on the crappy weekends I've worked) so I'm completely cool with waiting until tomorrow.

I'm excited to have an evening to myself. (I have the most recent season of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Last Holiday - a movie with Queen Latifah - so I am well-prepared for an evening in.)

So, while watching Curb Your Enthusiasm, I'm doing laundry, straightening up the apartment and making crab cakes.

Baked Crab Cakes serves 2 @ 5 pts. (I halved this recipe)

  • 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed (I used crab in a pouch)
  • 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup shredded carrot
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted (I accidentally used the whole tablespoon)
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley (I used dry)
  • 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
  • 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard (I didn't have this, so I used garlic powder. Weird, I know!)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt

In a bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Shape into four patties; cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Place crab cakes on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with tartar sauce if desired. This recipe is from the most recent issue of Cooking for 2.

My review: These were surprisingly good! The garlic powder actually added a nice touch. They were crispy and spicy - maybe a tad too salty, but that's OK.

I also made my standby vegetable - Zucchini Coins. Basically, you slice up a zucchini, dip it in egg whites, roll it in a bread crumb/ Parmesan cheese mix and bake it. Yum! I can eat a whole zucchini!

No comments: