Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Dang! My Arms Hurt

I've been taking this Bodypump class at the gym, which basically involves lifting barbells (I think that's what they're called) and working every muscle group. Let me just say the massive amounts of pain I'm feeling today.

In fact, while I was in the class yesterday, my arms and legs were shaking, which means you've exhausted the muscle according to a personal trainer I used to work with. When I was finished, I could barely lift my arms to turn the steering wheel.

Here's my only problem with workouts like this: I am usually STARVING after I'm done. I totally binge. Yesterday, I had something in the crockpot, so I could eat right away, but I was still starving. It was crazy. Does anyone else have this problem? (Although I think the only people who read this thing are my mom, Max, Amy, Gary and Stephanie.)

My crockpot meal, however, was delicious so I wanted to share. I think it serves 8 (but it might be 10) at 3 pts. There are numerous variations of this recipe, so I kind of made up my own version.

Spicy Crockpot Taco Soup
  • 1 can chili beans, hot, undrained (I think Bush's makes them)
  • 1 can black beans, drained (you could probably leave these undrained but I think it looks nasty)
  • 1 can corn, undrained
  • 1 small can diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained
  • 1 small can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
  • 1 envelope fat-free Hidden Valley ranch dip mix
  • 1 cup onions
  • 1 cup Morningstar soy crumbles (you could use lean ground beef and the points don't change. I've just been trying to eat more vegetarian foods. )
  • I threw in a little extra water - about a quarter of a can - since I drained the black beans

If you use ground beef, you should probably cook it. Otherwise, dump everything in a crockpot and cook it on low. Mine cooked for about 7 1/2 hours and it was fine. Garnish however you want - sour cream, chips, cheese - just count the points if you're watching.

The best part about this recipe is you can kind of do whatever you want. You can keep the meat or soy crumbles, you can leave it out. You can use whatever kind of beans you want. You can use whatever kind of tomatoes you want. You can leave out the onions. It's up to you!

No comments: