Monday, December 18, 2006

Saga of the Squirrels

I spent the weekend at my parents' house in Sylvania for my mom's birthday - they have quite the backyard drama going on. I come from a long line of animal feeders and my mom is no exception. There are four squirrels who frequent the backyard - one with no tail (AKA "Tailless"), one with scars all over his face (AKA "Scarface"), one with big patches of fur missing all over his body (AKA "Da Brute") and the other one who has no name.

All of these squirrels fight over the tasty morsels my family leaves for them, and Tailless, who spent some time as my brother's only friend while my brother was unemployed and new to the Sylvania area, is the family favorite. The drama ensued when the other squirrels were mean to Tailless.

I was sitting on the couch reading when all of a sudden, I see my mom run out on the deck, waving her arms and stomping her feet and yelling "Get Away!" Yes. She's chasing away the tailed squirrels. Seconds later, my brother does the exact same thing, but tops it off by throwing ice at Scarface, who doesn't even blink.

And at that moment, I realized exactly why I lead such an unglamorous life. Sigh.

No comments: