Saturday, July 07, 2007

Doo Dah, Doo Dah

I'm starting to feel like my life is a blur. Any day now, I'm going to wake up and be 100. I really want to just spend a lazy week on a beach somewhere. Sleeping in the sun, swimming in the ocean, sipping an umbrella drink - all that good stuff. Alas, the closest I'm going to get to a beach this month is if I go up to the crappy toxic beach in Alum Creek Park (I think that's where the beach is, although it might be that park thingamajig in Delaware County.)

So earlier this week, I had a fun Tuesday evening with my friend Jen -- we went to the Bonefish Grill. Yum! It's one of my new favorite restaurants. I'm a seafood lover anyway (born in Maine) so I was all about this restaurant.

We shared the Bang Bang Shrimp, which might be the best shrimp I've ever eaten in my life. I got the ahi tuna with some kind of Asian sauce. Rare, of course. I've decided that you could just club a tuna over the head and give it to me on a plate and I'd dive right in. We also got these fabulous drinks - the Bonefish Martini - vodka, cranberry juice and champagne. Woo hoo - and, sadly for my low-tolerance butt, a little too much for me to handle!

On the 4th, I went to the Doo Dah Parade. It was my first ever and I have no idea how to describe it. But, I laughed my butt off the entire time. Here are some pics - this might help you visualize! (These were taken by Jen - hers turned out WAY better than mine.)

Amazingly, James Brown made an appearance. (Actually, he made a couple of appearances - but this was the best.) I'm not sure if this guy was part of the parade or if he just likes dressing up like James Brown. Either way, he was AWESOME.

And here are some folks making a statement about 'Bong Hits for Jesus.' Can you guys believe the Supreme Court ruled against that student? It pisses me off that we're going to be stuck with Bushie's asinine Supreme Court for a gajillion years. I guess maybe that Free Speech thing isn't that important. Here's the thing...it's not like he was using drugs - he made a sign. When I was in high school, the rival high school's superstar football player was Boogie Johnson and we'd make signs that said "Pick That Boogie." Does that mean we were condoning nose picking? Of course not!


As a 10-year-marching bander, I decided that being part of this marching band would be my worst nightmare. Mainly because of the uniforms. Bare midriffs aren't my thing. Yes, I realize I showed my bare midriff and a bunch more on stage in front of 100 people at the International Festival, but that was different...


Below is a lovely 'float' of a car that has barreled over two bikers. This actually may be a farely frequent sight in some of the more urban parts of Columbus - and not as a float.

No comments: