Saturday, August 18, 2007

They've Ruined It!

One of my favorite books growing up was The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. I read it in the 5th grade and remember feeling an incredible sense of wonderment the first time I opened its pages. It was this powerful, amazing book about the endless struggle between good and evil.

The main character was an average boy from an average family, yet he also was special, powerful, destined to save the world. I think every child's fantasy (or maybe it was just mine) is to somehow discover you have special powers or a unique destiny. That you're more than everyone thinks you are. (I kept waiting for my special powers to crop up...but they never did. Maybe after I turn 31...)

I've read the entire Dark is Rising series multiple times - in fact, I'm due a re-read. I was incredibly excited when I found out a movie was being made and have been waiting patiently for its release.

I just watched the trailer and it's awful. Click here to see it (and be horribly depressed.)

They took my beloved Will Stanton, an 11-year-old British boy wise beyond his years who comes from a large, close-knit family and turned him into a 14-year-old American boy with a dysfunctional, obnoxious family. They even gave him a love interest - a love interest! He's supposed to save the world - not chase around girls! And the fact that he was 11 was a HUGE part of the story.

One of the actual lines in the movie is "How can I save the world? I can't even talk to a girl."

Woe is me.

I even read an interview with some of the cast members - most haven't even read the book! How can you make a movie and not read the book? In fact, one of the lead actors complained it was too hard to get through! Wow - that must be terrible to not even be able to get through a children's book. Usually, it only takes me a night (maybe that's my special world-saving skill...)

No comments: