Sunday, February 03, 2008

I Don't Know if I Can Finish This Book

Right now, I'm reading The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie. It feels like I'm being tortured. I'm not one to shy away from tough books, but this one is too much for me. It's just so dang long - 579 pages. I've been reading it for about two weeks and I'm only on page 400. The only reason I'm on page 400 is that I forced myself to read 100 pages this morning.

I just can't get into it - I don't know why. It's clever, well-written, certainly worthy of being among the 1001 Books You Should Read Before You Die. It just has so many words.

Maybe I need to take a breather and read something lighter. I have a huge stack of books I want to read but can't because I'm reading this one. I'm so frustrated, but I've never given up on a book this late in the game.

Argh - has anyone out there read this one? Is it worth the finish?

The 10 in 10 Challenge Update

Yesterday was my half-marathon training day. Sadly, they canceled training because Sharon Woods was a sheet of ice and they didn't want any broken bones. Instead, I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the treadmill, which was a little under 3 miles.

I hate the treadmill - it's quite possibly the most boring form of exercise known to mankind. You run and run and run - yet, never seem to get anywhere!

I managed to lose .8 lbs last week. It's not fabulous, but considering the bad eating week I had, I'll take it! Now I need to lose 6.8 lbs in 7 weeks. I think it's doable!

John of course has already lost 10 of his 13. Men make me sick.

No comments: