Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Off to Japan - EEK!

Tomorrow's the big day! At 11-something in the morning, I begin 18 hours of flying fun - headed from Detroit to Chicago to Tokyo to Okinawa.

I'm excited - and also scared to death. I've never been overseas and I don't speak anything that remotely sounds like Japanese. I'm hoping if I bat my eyes a lot and point at things, I'll get by. (Hey, it works for blondes! Tee hee!)

I'm also planning on bringing a copy of Karate Kid 2, which was supposed to be on Okinawa (but may actually have been filmed in Pennsylvania for all I know.) I want to act out all the scenes in it!

The flight is going to be brutal - I'm leaving at 11 a.m. on Thursday and arriving at 8 p.m. on Friday, so I lose an entire day. (The weird thing is I leave at 11 a.m. on a Tuesday and get back at 6 p.m. on a Tuesday so I eventually pick up the time again.) Luckily, I get free alcohol on the flight - so here's to not remembering a thing!

I'm not sure what our schedule will be like - I may have time to post pictures here and there or I may chuck it all until I get back. I really can think of nothing better to do with my time than spend 10 days on an island (and air force base - so, cute men in shorts!) And who doesn't like sushi and sake?

Wish me luck -and if you don't hear from me after the 18th, contact the Embassy!

No comments: