Monday, May 26, 2008

Ah - Another Restful Weekend!

For some reason, I was crazy-busy this weekend. It's been tons of fun stuff - but now I feel tired.

This weekend, I had dinner at Cafe Istanbul with friends (a Turkish restaurant - yum!). Their red lentil soup is one of my absolute favorites. I also love their ezme (chopped tomatoes, onions and hot peppers in olive oil.) It's kind of like a salsa for bread!



I Scream, You Scream...





On Saturday, my friends and I kicked off the summer festival season with the Utica Old Fashioned Ice Cream Festival. It was at Ye Olde Mill, where they make Velvet Ice Cream. They had a craft tent where you could buy clothes for your pets. The "designer" told me someone bought a shirt for his rabbit (is that what they're calling it these days?) and another wanted a T-shirt for her goat. Who dresses goats and rabbits? For that matter, who dresses dogs and cats?



My favorite booth was one with clothes for the cement geese you put on porch. There were holiday costumes, sports-themed outfits - even leather for that dominatrix goose in your life. They also had an ice cream eating contest - you were supposed to eat a pint a minute. I'll have to train for next year. Although talk about brain freeze...



I ate a corn dog and the most massive banana split. You could choose three ice cream flavors and three toppings. I had chocolate covered strawberry with strawberry topping, vanilla with hot fudge and cookies & cream with marshmallow topping. Yum and blech!

Indy is Swell

I also saw the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull movie this weekend. Apparently, I'm the only person on earth who liked it. Here's the thing - it's Indiana Jones. Of course the plot is unrealistic. It's just a fun, summer movie with a way-too-old Harrison Ford. There's always some mythical object. Weird stuff happens when you find it. Bad guys chase you and there's a big action-packed scene. It was mindless, cheesy fun - and I didn't look at my watch once (a sign of an enjoyable movie!). People are saying that this is the only unrealistic Indy movie. I'm sorry - he found the Holy Grail, which was guarded by some 800,000 year-old knight. That wasn't exactly plausible. Although I will admit the monkeys were ridiculous...

Cookouts Galore

On Sunday, I went to cookouts and parties. I made a watermelon and feta salad and a trifle with angel food cake, berries and a cool whip/pineapple/vanilla pudding mix. The watermelon salad wasn't very popular, but the trifle was a big hit!

I also played cornhole - and am officially the worst player on earth. I'm a terrible beanbag tosser!

No comments: