Friday, November 06, 2009

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough

I headed to Zumba class tonight. After months of sloth-like behavior, I decided it was time to get off my duff and put a little hippy hippy shake back into my life.

My instructor was Sofia from Modern Family. OK ... she probably wasn't but she was very similar. i think her name was Pamela. She was hilarious - she was loud and fun and danced like a crazy lady. She kept high-fiving gals in the front row and had compliments for everyone. There was a particularly uncoordinated gentleman who butchered the samba - and she said "I can tell you've been practicing!"

Speaking of uncoordinated...I have no idea how I got so out of shape. Sweat was running into my eyeballs. I was always facing the wrong direction. I probably looked like I was doing the moves for comedic effect. Only I wasn't! I was all the way serious. In fact, even the stretching was too hard for me.

At the end, she had us close our eyes and gave us positive affirmations. She said things like "You're only human. Just do your best every day. Unleash the gorgeous creature within." What's sad is I'm so starved for compliments, I was ready to cry. Particularly, the "you're only human" comment.

I wonder what it would be like to work for her. "You accidentally published a curse word? No problem...you did your best!" "Your margins are always so nice and tidy!" "I really like your use of the semicolon." "This is the time when we dance." (Yes, that's a Sprockets reference! What do you expect? I'm old!)

No comments: