Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Shopping for a White Dress!

On Sunday, I had my very first experience trying on wedding dresses.

I was petrified beforehand. My mouth was dry - I felt sick to my stomach. I kept thinking of how much I hate trying on clothes in general. I never like anything. Nothing ever fits correctly. In fact, I equate some shopping experiences with torture. (There are times when I have great shopping experiences -- but it's been awhile!)

I went with my mom and Amy (my matron of honor) to David's Bridal. I picked out four dresses and went back to try them on.

Although the first dress made me look like a giant marshmallow, it was not a bad experience at all. Wedding dresses are actually very flattering -- at least the ones I tried on. One benefit to being an old bride (I was surrounded by 20-somethings trying on dresses and high school prom-goers) is that I know what works best for my pear-shaped self. I steered clear of sheath dresses, empire-waist dresses, mermaid dresses and dresses that looked like they had giant doilies sewed onto them. Of course, another reason wedding dresses may be flattering is because you have to wear a corset and some giant petticoat thing underneath. Talk about granny panties!

Amy was awesome -- she had me in and out of these giant, heavy dresses before I could blink. Some were so heavy I had to actually pick them up and fling them in order to turn around.

I did find a contender. I'm not going to say a lot about it because of a certain fiance who occasionally reads my blog But, it was gorgeous -- and all the people in the store kept stopping by to say how nice it looked on me. (The girl next to me who bought a dress with a sharpei type skirt did not get the same level of compliments.) The contender wasn't a dress I picked out; the saleslady did. In fact, I almost didn't try it on because I didn't think I would like it. Luckily, I did!

When the saleslady attached a veil to my head, it all sank in. I'm getting married to the most fabulous, wonderful man on earth! Woo hoo! And actually, we're getting married in exactly 7 months to the day. It's so exciting!

Shrinking & Loving It!

I went to Weight Watchers last week -- I was down 1.4 lbs. Yippee! I'm perfectly happy with slow and steady -- at least it's coming off! I've also been exercising frequently -- jazzercise 3 or 4 times a week and weight lifting one or two times a week. My biggest helper is planning my meals ahead of time. Who knew something so simple would get great results?

No comments: