Friday, November 12, 2010

Dear Running,

I think it may be time for us to see other people.

It's not you. It's me.

It's amazing how something that feels so good when I'm doing it leaves me feeling so bad the next day. You're the fitness equivalent of a one-night stand picked up at a seedy bar after multiple shots of tequila.

When I'm with you, I feel the wind blow back my hair, my feet striking the blacktop in perfect harmony and the power that comes with burning the most calories in the smallest period of time. Plus, the lingering runner's high...awesome.

But lately, I've been feeling not so good afterward. My walk of shame has turned into a hobble of shame. My hip hurts. I walk around like a pirate with a peg leg. And ice is not the answer - I'm already cold 99% of the time - why would I willingly put ice on myself?

So, I think I need to spend more time with brisk walking, bicycling, aqua aerobics and strength training. They seem like they're better relationship material -- willing and able to make a long-term commitment for years to come. And so family friendly!

I'm not going to lie. We've had some good times. But there comes a time in every woman's life when she must give up on the bad boys and shoot for stability. And, I think brisk walking has an edge in that category.

Best of luck to you!

XOXO,
Eljabo

No comments: