Monday, February 07, 2011

Super Super Bowl Snacking

I've been insanely excited about the Super Bowl for weeks now. Not because I care about football or the Steelers or the Packers -- I've just excited about the snacks! We even busted out some of the fancy serving dishes we got for our wedding. Occasionally we class it up!

Everything I made was very yummy and more than made up for the Grilled Cheese Casserole fiasco a few weeks ago. Here's what I cooked:
  • The Wings -- This was my first time making chicken wings. They were absolutely disgusting to handle. I hated cutting through the bone and cutting off the wing tips. Blech!

    Once I finished the snipping, I tossed the wings with a little olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and baked them in the oven (20 minutes on one side and 15 minutes on the other). I had two sauces - Frank's Spicy Buffalo Sauce and Famous Dave's Devil's Spit Barbecue Sauce. I mixed some melted butter in with the sauces, tossed the wings in the sauces and returned them to the oven for 5 minutes. Delicious!

  • The Dip -- I decided to make Pizza Dip. Click here for the recipe. Basically, it's an herby cream cheese topped with mozzarella, parmesan, pizza sauce, onions, peppers, olives and pepperoni. It was bubbly and cheesy and spicy (I'm not sure why it was spicy, but it was.) Heaven in a bowl! I served with bread slices and brown rice chips.

  • The Cupcakes -- When I saw a recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes, I thought I had died and gone to Fat Girl Heaven. Click here for the recipe. These are by far the best cupcakes I've ever made. I used the KitchenAid mixer I got as a shower gift. It was my very first time using it and I have to confess, I'm in lurve.

    Basically, you make chocolate cupcakes using a doctored-up mix, drop a ball of chocolate chip cookie dough in the middle, cover with more cake batter and bake. Frost with vanilla buttercream frosting and top with mini chocolate chips. I didn't add the mini chocolate chip cookies to the top -- I thought it might make my heart explode. I've decided I'm a crappy froster - I sucked even with a little decorating press. Some of my cupcakes look like they have white dog turds on top. But, they taste good, and that's all that matters!

No comments: