Tuesday, December 06, 2011

November Hits & Misses

It's that time of the month again. I'm recapping all of the delightful and not-so-delightful dishes I've cooked in the past month.  I had some winners ... and some non-winners as well!

I would say my hands-down favorites were the smoothies with cottage cheese.  I've made these nearly every morning this month and haven't gotten sick of them yet.  I tried Oatmeal Cookie,  Chocolate Peanut Butter, Lemon Cream Pie, Lemon Raspberry, Malted Milk Chocolate and my own concoctions incorporating cherries or bananas.)  I think the Oatmeal Cookie was my favorite.

Phenomenal (would make again)
  • Baked Acorn Squash (Pioneer Woman) -- Normally, I'm not a huge fan of acorn squash.  I think it has a weird texture.  Apparently, I enjoy it when slathered in butter and maple syrup.  Try this recipe - you won't be disappointed.
  • Smoothies w/Cottage Cheese (Dashing Dish blog)  I tried a million variations of this recipe and they were all delicious.  Who would have guessed cottage cheese would be so yummy in a smoothie?  Tastes just like yogurt or milk but so much more protein  - I would stay full until lunch!
  • Maple Lime Salmon with Cilantro Couscous (Fitness magazine) This was easy to make and delicious as well.  
Great (probably would make again)
  • Meatball Casserole (Casserole Queens Cookbook)  Probably not the  healthiest dinner ever, but it tasted pretty good!
  • Spiced Cauliflower & Potatoes (The Indian Slow Cooker)  This is what I ALWAYS get when I go to Indian restaurants.  I can't believe I made it myself - and I can't believe it tasted EXACTLY like it does when I go to Indian restaurants.  Plus, it cooked in a slow cooker, which made it super easy to make.
  • Crockpot Pumpkin Oatmeal This was a great breakfast option. Sadly, I only got to eat it a couple of times before I got a killer sore throat, so I couldn't eat it as frequently as I would have liked.  
  • Crockpot Italian Chicken  This recipe has a lot of variations - I used frozen breasts and cooked it longer.  It was really decadent and delicious.  Simon liked it too.  We served over whole-wheat pasta.
OK (would need some tweaks)
  • Baked Mac and Cheese (Cooking Light) This was my first time making homemade macaroni and cheese.  It was good, but a little on the bland side.  
Eh (wouldn't make again)
  • Tuscan Greens and Beans Soup (Weight Watchers Cook It Quick Cookbook)  It was a little on the bland side.  If I made it again, I'd sub broth for the water.
  • Spicy Sausage and Peppers Penne (Pampered Chef It's Good for You Cookbook) I thought this was OK - Simon HATED it. 

No comments: