Saturday, February 18, 2012

Temporarily Vegan

I recently read about the Engine 2 Diet and thought it sounded interesting.  Basically, a firefighter had extremely high cholesterol and numerous health problems. To help him, the entire fire station went vegan and improved their health dramatically.  Although I don't have any cholesterol or blood pressure histories, I do need to get better about eating vegetables. The book encourages you to go vegan for 28 days.

I've flirted with veganism before - I have a couple of cookbooks and honestly, the food is pretty good.  So, I thought I'd give it a whirl.  Simon, ever the good sport, agreed to do it too.  I even gave him an option of just eating vegetarian foods for lunch, but he was willing to go whole hog. (Not literally)

We've been vegan for about a week and it's not bad at all.  I went out with girlfriends one night, opted for veggie pizza with no cheese and didn't feel the slightest bit deprived.  The foods I've cooked have been delicious.  Even Simon enjoyed them - he hasn't complained once.  Some of the favorites from the past week

I'm sure I would enjoy cheese if it were there, but I don't miss it when it's not.  

I lost two pounds last week and it felt effortless.  I ate plenty of food, but the veggies filled me up so I was less inclined to snack. 

I don't think this will be a permanent lifestyle change for us.  However, it would be great if we could get down to eating meat a couple of times a week.  Meat is expensive and cooking it grosses me out.  

I'll keep you posted!




No comments: