Monday, February 20, 2012

Really? In 2012?

I realize it's a presidential election year, so things are bound to get a little crazy.  But, I still thought the candidates would be discussing serious issues like jobs, the economy, education, immigration, where we fit in the global economy.

The last thing I expected was for birth control to be on the table.

Birth control.

A legal medical prescription that has been around for years.

A N. H. congresswoman even suggested that MARRIED people should practice abstinence

"People with or without insurance have two affordable choices, one being abstinence and the other being condoms, both of which you can get over the counter," she said. "If you decide you want to get pregnant you can refrain from abstinence."

That's all fine and dandy, but I thought being married was the holy grail were you could have as much sex as you wanted without people being offended by it.  And now, we're supposed to be abstinent?  Condoms are all fine and dandy, but they smell funny and some people are allergic to them.

Plus, birth control pills do more than preventing pregnancy.  I'm prone to ovarian cysts.  Cysts suck.  They hurt and they can get too big and explode, which is very dangerous.  I took birth control to prevent those cysts.   Other people take birth control pills because of cramps, heavy bleeding, irregular periods and more.  And let me tell you - if men had periods, they would be putting birth control pills in the drinking water.

If you are personally offended by birth control or you don't believe it's medically necessary, DON'T TAKE IT.  But it's not up to you or anyone in congress to make that decision on my behalf.  It's up to me and my doctor.  Period.  (Tee hee.)



No comments: