Wednesday, August 08, 2012

What I'm Reading Wednesday: Serendipity

My stress levels have been sky-high lately.  Work has been a grind and I'm desperate for vacation. It's no wonder I find myself waking up at 4 a.m. every day wide awake and ready to start the day. My vacation is scheduled for the week of August 20 and I am counting down the minutes.  I have planned an exciting week of painting and redecorating.  And maybe I'll spend a day by a pool somewhere.

So while I'm waiting for my vacation, I've been in desperate need of some light, beachy reads.  I picked up Carly Phillips' Serendipity - I'm on page 275 of 304.


The Plot


Faith Harrington grew up in Serendipity.  She was a spoiled, rich girl who lived in the mansion on the hill.  Ethan Barron was a poor, bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks.  When they were in high school, they shared one passionate kiss and never spoke again.

Fast forward a lot of years.  Faith found out her dad ran some sort of Ponzi scheme, swindling hard-working people out of millions of dollars.  She decided to move back to Serendipity and re-start her life as an interior designer, living in a crappy apartment above a bar.  Ethan has also moved back - and he's a millionaire living in the mansion Faith grew up in.

Of course they're going to rekindle their romance.

The Verdict


Yeah, this book is a little predictable.  And everything falls together a little too nicely.  If I were going to rebuild my life, I probably wouldn't move back to the town where are the people swindled by my father lived.  I'd restart my life somewhere else.

Still, I'm enjoying this book.  It's a light, fluffy read with plenty of swoony scenes. Ethan is smokin' H-O-T.  And, I like Faith too.

No comments: