Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Night of Culinary Firsts

I'm doing Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time now.  The only difference this time is that I've actually stuck with it for more than a few days.

The first week I lost 3.6.  Last week I maintained, but I don't think it was a real maintain.  I think I was just puffy.

The thing I'm doing differently this time is making sure I eat carbs and proteins together.  And, I'm trying to not be as carb-dependent as I normally am.  It's helping -- I'm not craving sweets and starches as much as I normally am.  In fact, last night we went to Thurman's Cafe for dinner, where they serve 3/4 lb hamburgers.  They forgot to give me the potato chips that came with my meal and I didn't say a peep.  And I just ate half of my burger -- it was plenty!

I bought two new Weight Watchers cookbooks to help me along the way.  The first was Fruits and Veggies: A to Z, because I need to expand my veggie repertoire.  I also got Tastier than Takeout, which features a bunch of foods from around the world.

Tonight was Italian -- Rosemary Chicken in Balsamic-Tomato Sauce.  It was sauteed chicken cutlet with a sauce made of cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, onions, garlic, chicken broth and rosemary.  Very tasty and only 4 WWP.

I also tried steaming artichokes for the first time (from my veggie book.)  Simon took one look at his plate and exclaimed in horror, "What is this?"  Then he watched me eat it.  Eating artichokes is kind of difficult, so I had undoubtedly had a puzzled look on my face  (I already have a problem with faces.)  He then says, "I'm not eating that."

I didn't think it was so bad.  I dipped the leaves in a butter-lemon sauce.  I think I over-steamed though -- it was a little too tender.  And I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on in the middle of the thing.

Tomorrow I'm making Drumsticks with Sesame and Ginger. You can't buy skinless chicken legs around here, so I had to take the skin off.  It was totally gross, but luckily it didn't take too long.  I'm not sure I got all the skin, but I guess I won't die if I eat a couple of specks.

No comments: