Sunday, November 09, 2014

Maybe I should be concerned

Sanctimommies are everywhere:
  • "I would never give my baby formula."
  • "If you use drugs during delivery, you'll dope up your baby.  Your body can handle the pain."
  • "No TV for two years or your baby will be autistic or have ADHD or be an idiot."
  • "Only eat organic food or your baby will be autistic or have ADHD or be an idiot."
Since I have broken every single one of those rules, I think I need to stop visiting the internet.  It stresses me out.  Let's take TV for example.

For the first few months, I tried really hard to keep The Wee One away from TV, but I swear it was like a magnet.  No matter where she was in the room, she would crane her head to look at the TV.  And yes, maybe we could have opted not to watch TV, but we like it so no.

At her 4 month appointment, I asked the pediatrician about it, fully expecting to get a Judgy McJudgerson sort of lecture. Instead, he looked at me like I was an idiot and said of course babies can watch TV.  As long as she's not plopped in front of it for hours, she would be perfectly fine.  He said she was just looking at the lights and it was just background noise to her, much like the radio would be for us. He even said she might enjoy kiddie tv because of the songs.

It was a huge weight off my shoulders!  We even tried some kiddie TV.  (And let me tell you...that Caillou is a whiny brat.)

Last night we were watching Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters.  Not a horrific choice, but definitely no Elmo.

The Wee One was rolling around on a playmat -- and of course, craning her head to look at the TV.    All of a sudden, she started cracking up.  She giggled for about 5 minutes at the TV. 

So my 4-month-old not only watches TV - but she finds Percy Jackson to be hilarious.

Good times.

No comments: