Saturday, April 29, 2006

There Are Ducklings in My Backyard!

When I first moved into my apartment a year and a half ago, my windows overlooked a forest. After the great snowfall of 2004 (when I got stuck in a snowdrift trying to get to my parents' for Christmas), the forest turned into a pond. This spring, the pond is insanely big.

There are all these flowers and insects and frogs and birds. I keep wanting to go put some fish in it, but I'm afraid they'll die and I would feel guilty.

Big Duck Love
Lately, a threesome of ducks has moved in. Two boys and one girl. I'm not sure if it's some kind of kinky duck love or if it's a husband and wife and an overgrown adult who hasn't left the nest or if it's a young husband and wife and an elderly father.

Whatever the story is, Girlie Duck has had babies. The little yellow fuzzballs are paddling around the pond - splashing around. I am completely in love with them. (What I'm not in love with is the quacking ruckus that wakes me up every morning at 6:30 a.m. without fail - granted, I should usually already be up, but that's not the point!)

My Continued Adventures in Cooking
Ed was making fun of my journey through Rachel Ray's 365 recipes - mainly since I am only doing one a week and it will take me about 7 years to finish. He was also making fun of my bad cooking - I think his exact quote was "Do any of your forays into cooking actually turn out well?"

I had a kind of OK experience last night. I made Broccoli with Garlic Sauce from Weight Watchers' Take Out Tonight cookbook. Granted, I discovered midway through the cooking process that I didn't have any garlic, but it was still yummy without the garlic. I bought some today at the store, so I'm curious to see how it turns out with garlic (instead of just sauce).

Movie Review
I watched About a Boy last night (starring Hugh Grant), and all I can say is, how adorable was that movie? I rate it 4 out of 5 ducklings! My favorite scene was when Hugh Grant sang 'Killing Me Softly With His Song' with the little boy. Adorable!

Well, time to get cracking on cleaning my apartment - an exciting day is in store for me!

No comments: