Sunday, April 23, 2006

Weekends suck when you have to work!

It's Sunday and I feel like I haven't had a weekend. Probably because I haven't. I worked from 9 a.m. to midnight on Friday. 9 a.m. to midnight! And then, I worked from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. Working is making me a bit crabby.

My oil change was no big trauma. I need to have my wheels aligned but they didn't try to sell me a rocket booster. Thank goodness.

Picks & Pans (Otherwise known as Stuff I've Watched or Read) (feeling lazy today, so this is the best I can come up with!)


  • Book: A Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier - What I liked about this book is how the characters develop. There are two parallel stories - the story of the people who are dead but not all the way dead yet (almost a limbo) and the story of Laura, a researcher in Antarctica.

    At first, you have no idea what the connection is between the two stories. As the connections deepen, it really makes you think about all the different random people you know - from your family and close friends to someone who sat across from you once in a waiting room. I kind of wish the book went a little deeper into the story. I wanted more.

  • Movie: Capote - I watched this at Ed's last night. To my surprise, I liked it. (My vote was for An Unfinished Life with J. Lo and Robert Redford, but that got nixed.) I think I would have liked it more if I hadn't fallen asleep in the middle. (Dratted wine!) I can see why Philip Seymour Hoffman won an Oscar. I just wanted to know why the family in Kansas was killed, but it never goes into that.

  • Workout Video: Island Girl: Basic Hula - OK - I haven't actually done this video yet, but the instructor - yikes! I think she might be a man. I think of hula as a very soft, flowing dance. The instructor had the most muscles on a woman that I've ever seen. I was slightly in awe of her and slightly horrified at the same time.

No comments: