Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Back to My Rachael Ray 365 Meals Book

I thought I'd dust off my Rachael Ray 365 cookbook and once again try one of her recipes (overlooking the horrors I've created in the past.) I tried the Honey Nut Chicken Sticks - and wow! They were delicious. Crispy, spicy-sweet - they tasted like something fried and served up in a restaurant. Only better, since they're baked!

They weren't too hard to make - cutting up the chicken took the most time. I wanted them extra-crispy, so I cooked them a little longer than recommended.

Honey Nut Chicken Sticks

  • 2 pounds chicken tenders
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 eggs (I used Eggbeaters instead)
  • A splash milk
  • 2 cups honey nut flavored cereal (recommended: Honey Nut Corn Flakes) (I used Honey Bunches of Oats)
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
  • 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (I left this out)
  • 2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: Montreal Seasoning)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, eyeball it (I used 2 1/2 T of canola oil)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Place flour in a large shallow dish. Coat chicken in flour. Beat eggs and milk in a shallow dish. Combine cereal, bread crumbs, paprika, poultry seasoning, grill seasoning and vegetable oil in food processor. Transfer breading to a shallow dish. Place a nonstick baking sheet near chicken breading station.

In batches, take flour coated chicken and coat in eggs then in breading and place on nonstick cookie sheet. When all the chicken has been coated, transfer to oven and bake 15 minutes, until evenly brown and cooked through. Cool and serve, or pack up for a picnic! This chicken may be served hot or cold.

Great Snack

I also tried an apple recipe from What to Cook When You Think There's Nothing Left in the House to Eat. Super easy - I just sliced up an apple, covered each slice with a small piece of Cheddar cheese and baked until the cheese was melted. (Sad that I needed a recipe for that!) It was tasty, filling and healthy. Yippee!

No comments: