Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Bellydancing: A Lot Like Marching Band

That's what I've decided! Participating in a bellydancing show is a lot like putting on a marching band halftime show. You've got a squad...you've got a squad leader...you have to try to stay in a straight line...it's hard to remember which way to turn...all the things that make up a truly dynamite band gig.

I'm still readying myself for my debut. Because I'm sucky, I was moved out of the front/center in the finale. (I was between two ladies who have been dancing for 7 years. My 1.5 years of experience didn't quite look the same.) So no more Rizzo...although if you come to the show, you'll be able to pick her out.

At the last rehearsal I felt like the head honcho was scrutinizing me. I wrote it off to being unusually paranoid. Oh no. I was being scrutinized. She told my instructor to talk to me about the way I hold my left foot. Now, quite frankly, I'm going to be half naked on a stage. If people are looking at my left foot, my heavily-padded tasseled bra is not doing its job. But now all I can think about is my feet. It's traumatizing! I think this is my last show...the rehearsals are AWFUL.

Congrats to My Friend Liz!

I went to the Fall Concert she conducted at Zanesville High School last night... and it was great! The music she picked was just beautiful and the kids sang so well. The Symphonic Choir was especially good - that's the audition-only group. And she had the kids perform the choir song from the 3rd Harry Potter movie...complete with flying bats!

And in Other News, I'm Cooking Again!

Here's what I made for dinner - lots of vitamins & fiber, plus it was tasty.

Braised Broccoli with Whole-Wheat Spaghetti - Serves 1

  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1.5 tsp olive oil
  • 2 c Coarsely chopped broccoli
  • 1/4 C dry white wine or water (guess which one I used)
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 oz. whole-wheat spaghetti

In a heavy, 10" skillet over med heat, saute the garlic in the oil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the garlic begins to color. Stir in the broccoli, wine or water, salt and pepper. Bring the liquid quickly to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the directions on the package, but without salt. D rain and toss with the broccoli. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Dear Lovey Heart said...

zanesville, bleck