Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Thing About Taylor Hicks Is...

his fans are INSANE. The doors opened at 7 and my mom and I got there around 5:30 so we could grab dinner first (Ted's Montana Grill - love the bison!) There were already people lined up waiting to get in. (It was general admission, but STILL, it's Taylor Hicks!)

There were tons of middle-aged ladies wearing Taylor Hicks T-shirts and beads. Not sure what the beads were for - maybe they were hoping he would drop trou and they could give the beads to him. It was like Clay Aiken's freaky Claymates. The line was crazy long when we finally got in it. It went all the way back to Vine St, which is about two blocks from the venue.

I swear, Taylor has the most diverse fans I've ever seen. Little kids, middle-aged folks, men, women, college kids, teenagers, uber-polished, uber-trashy - it ran the gamut. The best were the couple next to my mom and me. They had to be in their late 70s. The woman was screaming Taylor's name the whole time and dancing and clapping (offbeat - but still impressive!) In fact, her husband was dancing too. (Someone got lucky last night!) I've never seen anything like it at a concert. My Mammaw likes Taylor too, but I couldn't see her even being remotely interested in seeing him in concert.

The show was good though - he's got so much energy. He didn't take a break the entire time - running around, hopping up and down, spinning in circles, hitting the tambourine against his chest, pounding a cowbell. He did his famous trout move a few times. It made me realize why I hate this season of American Idol so much - this year's peeps are boring.

Off to Indy!

Now I'm headed to Winona Lake, Indiana to visit my friend Shannon and her husband and two little girls for a few days. It should be fun - Shannon and I used to get in all kinds of trouble in college. We used to jump on my bed and dress up like 80's ladies and listen to New Kids on the Block music (which was way uncool when I was in college in the late 90's) and go to frat parties to make boys do the worm.

When we were older, we had Friday night pizza nights and we'd go to the gym together and we'd go get Campfire Mochas at Caribou and we went to see Danny Wood and Jordan Knight in concert. In fact, Danny Wood smelled our necks and said we were lovely smelling ladies. (See the picture for evidence - that was a few years ago!)

Who knows what we're going to do for the next few days. Shannon's running activities at a senior center - she said I might have to help her teach senior citizens to square dance. If I do, I'll be sure to get pics!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! Tina mentioned it a few weeks back, and I've been reading and laughing and laughing!

Eljabo said...

I miss our Alias parties...

Anonymous said...

...and a "Brothers & Sisters Party" just wouldn't be the same.

Eljabo said...

Although a 'Flavor of Love Charm School' party, might be close! ;)