Saturday, September 22, 2007

More Premieres: Back to You & Gossip Girl

Premiere #2 - Back to You on Fox

I wanted to like this show more than I did. Actually, I'm not sure WHY I wanted to like it. It's not like I ever watched Frasier or Everyone Loves Raymond.

It wasn't terrible - I actually made it through the whole episode. It reminded me of those comfortable old sitcoms from the 80s and 90s - familiar faces, laugh tracks, same old obvious jokes. (Although the jokes were a little more risque than the jokes on the comedies I watched growing up...)

The laugh tracks were what bugged me most. If I can't figure out when something's funny on my own, it's probably not all that funny.

The Verdict:

Not a bad way to kill some time if you have absolutely nothing else going on, but definitely not worth a spot on my DVR.









Premiere # 3 - Gossip Girl on the CW

I wasn't sure I'd like this show - sometimes TV shows about rich, snotty high school students get on my nerves (like the OC). And I'm not familiar with the books - I'm actually not sure that I want to be.

This show was a lot of fun - pretty people to look at (although when I'm checking out the dads, that's a sign I'm not the target audience), several interesting plots going on and Kristen Bell (formerly known as Veronica Mars) rocks as the narrator. It makes me feel like I have a little piece of Veronica back. (Who's psyched about her upcoming stint on Heroes?)

The best part of this show - Serena is staying in The Palace Hotel, which is where I stayed when I was traveling on business. I had a fabulous suite and my own business cards. So any television show that mentions The Palace is OK by me!

The Verdict:

The latest guilty pleasure! This one scores a permanent place on my DVR.

No comments: