Monday, May 05, 2008

Scary Door-Knocking!

Sorry I've been a big slacker - I spent the weekend in Indiana helping a political campaign by knocking on doors to remind people about voting in the upcoming primary.

I personally detest knocking on strangers' doors - it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. I'd rather do almost anything else (except make cold calls over the phone.) When I was in school, I had to sell candy bars for band. I probably would have sold more had I gone door to door, but that wasn't ever going to happen.

I don't know what I thought the good residents of Pin Oak Hills in Mt. Olivet, West Virginia were going to do to my chubby permed-headed self, but I knew it wasn't going to be good. In fact, I think I usually ate more candy bars than I sold, which might have been why I was so dang chubby.

It's My Blog - I'll Give a Testimonial If I Want To

I feel strongly that Barack Obama is the only presidential candidate with the honesty, integrity and diplomacy we need to turn this country around. Let's face it, it sucks right now here - we're all poor, prices are rising, we're losing our homes, we're spending billions of dollars to keep Iraq afloat, jobs are going overseas - it's not pretty!

That's not a slam on the U.S. - I love this country, but I think there are different kinds of patriotism. It makes me mad when people question Senator Obama's patriotism because of that stupid flag pin thing. What's more patriotic than wanting everyone to come together as a nation and make this country as good as it possibly can be?

With a Knock-Knock Here...

To help out Senator Obama, I faced my door-knocking fears and had such a great time. The other volunteers were all so incredibly warm and nice and inspiring to be around. I've been a bit of a politics junkie all my life, but I've never volunteered or donated for a campaign before so this was a new experience.

Most of the people I volunteered with were like me - first-time political volunteers, first-time political donors - we all felt compelled to do something for this candidate. The door-knocking was a little scary, but most people were nice (or pretended not to be home which is what I do when people knock on my door.)

It's not that I think Hillary is a bad candidate - she's better than John McCain. However, I think Barack Obama is the best candidate. The governor of Virginia stopped by our volunteer office to talk with us and he said it all comes down to a choice between better and best. I think he's right and Senator Obama is the best.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go PATRIOT! Good for you- participating in our democracy & whatnot.

My friend in Pa who also went door-to-door had a blast as well. She did not have one negative encounter.

Maybe THAT should be in the news.

USA! USA! USA!

Anonymous said...

"I don't know what I thought the good residents of Pin Oak Hills in Mt. Olivet, West Virginia were going to do to my chubby permed-headed self, but I knew it wasn't going to be good."

Lol. I'm picturing you in the old days doing this. Seriously, lol.

Eljabo said...

Ha! It IS a frightening picture...it's weird to look at pictures from them. I was a completely different person.