Saturday, August 09, 2008

OK - I've Been a Slacker

I've just been having a rough week - work, my personal life, my family - it's all been a mess! To make matters worse, I've been a complete slug and have inhaled the nastiest food on earth - popcorn shrimp, pizza, martinis - blech! I'm trying to get myself back in the groove - exercising, eating right, taking vitamins. I swear doing that is a cure-all for a minor case of the blues.

I've also been reading a ton - I just re-read Heaven by V.C. Andrews. You probably first encountered this book (or one of its brethren) in middle school. You bookmarked all the good parts and delighted at the sordid tale. The Flowers in the Attic has all the creepy incest stuff. Heaven, the tale of backwater West Virginian trash, is much better.

It's really just like Little House on the Prairie. Nine family members all live in a one bedroom shack, sharing one bed. Pa gets an STD and his wife leaves him. Pa sells all his kids for $500 a pop. The heroine, Heaven Leigh, with the heavenly blue eyes (gag), is sold to one of Pa's ex-baby mamas and her husband. The woman is crazy and makes Heaven bathe in Lysol - Heaven ends up hooking up with step-father. (so not technically incest but still creepy.) Good times! For a woman named Virginia, she cooked up some raunchy stuff!'

I also did some cooking. Here's my latest squash casserole adventure. It was really tasty - and filling. I had it as my main course!

Summer Squash Casserole - serves 4

1 lb sliced zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
1 medium carrots, shredded
1 C chopped onion
2 T butter, divided
1/2 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted (98% fat-free)
4 oz sour cream, light
4 oz crushed stuffing mix (Stove Top Whole Wheat has 3 g fiber!)

In a Dutch oven, saute squash, carrots and onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; remove from the heat. Stir in soup and sour cream. Melt the remaining butter; add to stuffing mix. Gently stir into the squash mixture. Transfer to a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until stuffing is heated through.

No comments: