Sunday, August 03, 2008

What? The Weekend's Over?

I'm more than a little bummed my weekend is over. I wasn't overscheduled for once so I actually had time to relax.

Pita Bread & Booty-Shaking

On Friday afternoon I tried The Grapevine, a Mediterranean restaurant in Westerville. Apparently, it's only open weekdays, but it was the best Mediterranean food I've ever had. I had a gyro salad with some sort of tzatziki dressing, hummus and pita. The pita was served warm straight off the grill and was amazingly good. On Friday night, I went to bellydancing class. Since I'm missing huge chunks out of the last four routines I've learned, I'm auditing a few lower-level classes to catch up. I'm tired of being the bellydancing dunce!

Shopping, Chocolate Cake & Killian's

On Saturday, I went to Steve & Barry's with Kelly and then we went to Yanni's (a Greek restaurant in Westerville) for lunch. It was my first time there and I really liked it. I got a Greek salad with gyro meat and we split the chocolate cake for dessert. The chocolate cake was worth the trip alone - it was phenomenal!

Last night, we went to the Dublin Irish Festival, where I walked around holding two beers like a giant lush. The line was way too long to wait in twice! I've never been before but I could why people look forward to it every year. Lots of green and happy drunk people! I was going to look up my Irish ancestors until I remember the only Irish relative I've traced off the boat was Mary Smith. Somehow, I think searching for Smiths in Ireland might be tricky!

Cleaning, Cooking & Sweeney Todd

Today was my lazy day! I did chores. I also made Squash-Rice Casserole. It's a Cooking Light recipe I've been meaning to try for years. It was delicious - except I accidentally picked up full-fat sour cream instead of fat free. No wonder I thought it tasted so rich! Still, it was only 4 points with the full fat sour cream. That's not so bad.

I also made Salmon Burgers with Peach-Jalapeno Salsa. The salmon burgers were just OK, but the salsa was pretty good. I've always been scared to make my own salsa, so I was impressed with how easy it actually is! No more Chi-Chi's!

Here's the recipe:

Peach-Jalapeno Salsa
  • 2 large peach(es), diced
  • 1 small jalapeno pepper(s), cored, seeded and finely chopped (do not touch seeds with your bare hands)
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/8 tsp table salt
  • 2 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped

To prepare salsa, combine peaches, jalapeno and lemon juice in a medium bowl; add sugar and mix well. Stir in salt and cilantro and toss gently to mix; set aside.

I topped it all off with a viewing of Sweeney Todd, which was lots of fun. It was so over-the-top, you didn't mind the gore! Johnny Depp was a surprisingly good singer!

Fact #4: Why Barack Obama Will Make a Great President

In Barack Obama's economic plan, he will provide additional tax rebates to American workers. His proposed stimulus will be $20 billion.

No comments: