Thursday, October 09, 2008

Trauma

Last night, I had bellydancing class. Like I've said before, I like to prance around once in awhile, shaking my bottom. Plus, it impresses the dudes I date (until they see me dance, when they run screaming in the opposite direction).

I do not need to be a professional bellydancer - or even slightly good. (Except I'm a perfectionist and feel I must be good at everything except keeping my bedroom closet clean - so it gets on my nerves that I'm not a better bellydancer.)

In class, we had to get do a series of turns across the studio floor, stopping and posing every three turns or so. I thought it was the dumbest lesson in the world. First of all, it made me dizzy. Also, it was mortifying, because we had to do it in pairs and one of the four people in class was an instructor. Third, there is no way I could think of poses fast enough. The instructor said, let your body do what it does naturally when you pose. My body wants to stand in a straight line. Not exactly a pose.

I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be doing this. I think in a few months, I'll be a retired bellydancer. I'll have to impress my dates with my supreme jazzercise ability instead.

No comments: