Friday, March 27, 2009

Back From The Other Side

Sorry I've been MIA. I was in Seattle for a few days earlier this week and spent last week getting ready for the trip and sneezing my germ-infested head off.  

Seattle is the furthest west I've ever been and I loved it.  I thought it was so relaxing to be on Pacific time.  When I'd wake up, I'd think to myself "Well, if there are any problems today, the East Coast will take care of it."  It seems like the East Coast peeps are on the front line, making things happen while the West Coast is still asleep.  

The weather was a little cooler than I would have normally preferred, but it was such a quirky, fun little city.  It was kind of like Columbus with mountains, an ocean, more hippies, more coffee shops and less Buckeye paraphernalia.  OK, so not much like Columbus!

I loved all the coffee shops.  I've never seen so many coffee shops in my life.  And let me tell you, Starbucks from Seattle is way better than the Starbucks our cafeteria ladies make.   I went to the very first Starbucks.  Let's just say it wasn't as exciting as one would imagine.  It was kind of a hole actually.  We also saw the new Starbucks model they're testing.  We thought it was the original Starbucks if that gives you any idea of what it was like.  There were nets everywhere and big wooden barrels.  

We ate at one of Ivar's Seafood Bars.  I had clams and chips.  The best part was holding a french fry up in the air and having a seagull snatch it out of my hands.   We took a ferry to Bainbridge Island, where we stopped at all the shops and chatted up a 60-year-old hippie who had just opened up a winery.  He only had one wine available so he let us taste it for free.  It was terrible but I was tempted to buy a bottle because he was so dang nice.

We drove through the quirky, artsy Fremont area and saw the Fremont Troll under the bridge.  We had sushi one night at Cutter's Bayhouse.  We also had really yummy salads at Purple.  

It was a quick, low-key trip, but I absolutely loved it there.  I would never move there, but it's going to play a key role in my chuck-it-all-and-live-off-the-land fantasies.

No comments: