Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Think, Laugh, Laugh

Today is link day - the first section is serious, the bottom two are hilarious (but not for the easily offended). Yes, I realize it's inappropriate to combine the two, but it's my blog and I'll write what I want to!

THINK

Paul Krugman of the New York Times knows his stuff. He is, after all, a Nobel Prize winning economist and they don't give those things to knuckleheads. For months, he's been hard on President Obama, but I think he's finally coming around.

Personally, I think President Obama has done a heck of job given the sorry state our country was in when he took office. I get so sick of hearing Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin spew their special brand of poison. (Death panels? Really? I personally don't know why people would try to prevent uninsured Americans from getting health insurance. People shouldn't have to choose whether to die or go bankrupt.)

Krugman wrote a thoughtful op-ed in the Times; click here to read it. I would particularly recommend reading it if you're one of those who thinks that it's terrible for the government to spend money.

My favorite section:
Probably the most important aspect of the government’s role in this crisis isn’t what it has done, but what it hasn’t done: unlike the private sector, the federal government hasn’t slashed spending as its income has fallen. (State and local governments are a different story.) Tax receipts are way down, but Social Security checks are still going out; Medicare is still covering hospital bills; federal employees, from judges to park rangers to soldiers, are still being paid.

All of this has helped support the economy in its time of need, in a way that didn’t happen back in 1930, when federal spending was a much smaller percentage of G.D.P. And yes, this means that budget deficits — which are a bad thing in normal times — are actually a good thing right now.
LAUGH

If you've ever wondered what Mario and Princess Peach do in private, now is your chance! Click here for their shocking sex tape!

LAUGH

Yikes! I didn't know cucumber abuse was such a problem! Click here to see why.

No comments: