Thursday, September 03, 2009

Pasta, Putting & Those Pesky Nigerians

On Tuesday night, I fulfilled all my birthday fantasies with a treat of spaghetti, Cold Stone and disturbing reality TV!

Simon and I checked out a new-to-us restaurant in Gahanna called Lola's Baci. It was adorable - exactly like going to dinner at someone's house (Lola's house, I presume.) It has about 12 tables total. The menu is fairly small with a variety of pastas, salads and Italian dishes. In fact, the waitress had to rattle off all the items they had already run out of! Everything had a homemade feel and the prices were very reasonable. I got the whole wheat pasta with red sauce and meatballs - yum!

After dinner, we went to Cold Stone Creamery for some ice cream. For me, it was all about the Jell-O Chocolate Pudding Ice Cream with graham cracker pieces. It's so stinkin' good!

Next, we watched Tool Academy 2 on VH1. I love that show! I'm amazed at how awful the guys are AND the fact that they have long-term girlfriends. Scary! One of the best was a guy who asked his girlfriend to marry him and then told her he only asked because he was joining the military and would get more money if he was married. Classy! All-in-all, I survived turning 33. Next up, 34. Yikes!

My First Golf Lesson

Yesterday, Kelly, Simon and I started taking golf lessons. I've only miniature golfed, so this was a brand new experience for me. Our instructor had a toupee (or wicked bad hair), quoted Seinfeld relentlessly, made up dreadful rhymes and thoroughly entertained me!

We focused on grip and proper club positions. I have no clue what I'm doing - I suspect my renegade thumb might become an issue. Well, I guess I can't possibly get worse! Plus, I suspect Simon will be springing pop golf quizzes on me.

Those Pesky Nigerians

When I think Nigeria, I think of the hundreds of exiled princesses, scholars, war prisoners and abused wives who are trapped there and need me to save them by wiring money. Who knew I had a global reputation of generosity? Don't call Bill Gates or Oprah -- call Eljabo! She's the one who makes things happen.

Yesterday, I got two calls on my cell phone between 9 and 11 p.m. Today, I got five calls between 5 and 10 a.m. Yes, I said 5 a.m. All of the calls were labeled 'Unknown' or came from an international number. I answered two, but the line was static-y so I hung up.

After the 5 a.m. call, I was annoyed so I googled the country code. To my horror, these calls were originating from Nigeria. We all know nothing good comes from Nigeria. In fact, I wonder if they can wipe out my bank account just by calling me. (Although if they want my life savings, they'll be disappointed. They'll probably think another Nigerian got to me first.)

I realize e-mail phishing has been very lucrative for Nigerians. I doubt phone phishing will work quite so well. Here's why:

  1. My caller ID tells me you're from Nigeria so I'm not going to answer the phone.
  2. You're calling at inappropriate fundraising times. I'm sorry, but 5 a.m.? I wouldn't give money to my own mother if she called me at 5 a.m. (OK, I would - but I wouldn't give it to a Nigerian!)

No comments: