Monday, September 14, 2009

Weekend Round-Up

Last weekend was busy as usual - I swear I need a weekend to recover from my weekend!
Here's what I did:

FRIDAY -Went to a Health Fair: Kelly and I went to some OSU-sponsored health fair to pick up race packets for a 10K. Good news...I don't have diabetes! Afterward, we shared a yummy gyro salad and hummus at the Grapevine restaurant in Westerville and hit up Knights Ice Cream for some salty caramel ice cream.

SATURDAY - Weighed in at Weight Watchers: I lost 1.8 lbs, which is awesome considering I had a million pieces of pizza at Slice of Columbus and ate a bunch of crap on Friday. The big message this week was planning ahead when you eat out. Check out the menus online, figure out ahead of time what you're going to eat and stick with it!

SATURDAY - Helped Simon Move into His New Condo: Helped is probably not the best verb. I may have hindered! I'm not exactly She-Ra. Luckily, Simon doesn't have much giant furniture. The hardest part was getting his king-sized mattress up the stairs. We folded it like a burrito and pushed.

SATURDAY - Rooted on the Buckeyes: Simon's friends had a cookout/party for the OSU/ USC game. In Columbus, you have support OSU because otherwise you'd be social outcasts. I think you have to either be raised in Ohio or attended OSU for long periods of time to be super into it. We weren't. But, we bought OSU t-shirts, buckeye necklaces and face tattoos to show our spirit. It was fun - I brought Sneaky Petes and that dip you make with cream cheese and Harry & David onion and pepper relish. The game was a nail-biter. OSU lost but just because USC got a lucky break!

SUNDAY - Walked a 10K: Kelly and I did the New Albany Walking Classic on Sunday. It was in a fancy New Albany neighborhood where every house was red brick with pillars, perfectly trimmed hedges and driveways in front of the house so they'd have a place to show off their Ferraris. Our plan was to identify targets (people we didn't want to beat us) and pass them. We mostly picked out the elderly, overweight and annoying. (Although there were a few exceptions.)

We were late (shocker!) and got there right as the race started. Those race-walkers scare the bejeezus out of me. They're as fast as runners, except they're walking. They kind of resemble dinosaurs or crabs or space aliens. They're all sinewy and their arms and legs flap everywhere. I don't see the point. They look absolutely ridiculous. If you want to go that fast, just run already. You're scaring the children (and me!)

SUNDAY - Collapsed in a Heap: I spent the rest of the day sprawled on the couch. Simon and I were going to go see a movie so I went to take a shower. I made it out of the shower and then curled up in my bed "for a minute." Twenty minutes later, Simon found me there fast asleep.

SUNDAY - Screamed: I got something from my car and was headed toward the apartment stairs when I spotted something slithering by my foot. It was a snake! I screamed and jumped up in the air. My sandal came off and I wobbled. There was a brief moment I thought I was going to touch the snake with my bare foot. Thank goodness, it slithered into the hedges before that happened. I realize that it was just a teensy tiny garter snake. Still it scared the crap out of me!

No comments: