Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Airbrushing Kids' Books: Part Two

After seeing the great injustice done to The Cat Ate My Gymsuit, I decided to check out another popular book about chubby children, Blubber. This is the king Ho Ho of fat chick kid's books. It doesn't get any better than this.

BLUBBER (THEN)


BLUBBER (NOW)


As a young chubster, I identified with the first cover. Girl with bad hair wearing a corduroy jumper much like the ones my mother used to make me wear. She's standing at the blackboard while the other girls giggled at her expense. Maybe she has a barking cough that prompts the kids to call her "Bullfrog."

WTF is going on with the current cover? Is one of the girls supposed to be Blubber? Are either of them remotely fat? One is wearing a bulky jacket, but that's the only odd thing I see. I probably wouldn't have picked this book up as a child - if these girls were fat, I was the human Jabba the Hut.

It IS possible that the two girls on the cover represent the gossipy elementary school girls. Still, if a book is called Blubber and it's about a chubby girl, you want to see a fat chick on the cover. It's just expected. Since there isn't one there, you're going to assume one of these girls is Blubber. And then, you're going to curl up in a corner and cry.

No comments: