Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Are We on Bloopers?

Dear Douchebag...er....Justice Antonin Scalia,

I read with great interest your recent commentary on the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. As a woman, I was deeply shocked to learn that I, in fact, do NOT have protection under this clause. It's a good thing you were there to enlighten me!

The clause does say:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws
Last time I checked, I thought I was both a U.S. citizen and a person, but I must be wrong. After all, as a white, Christian, heterosexual male with a law degree, you probably know way more than me about discrimination.

You have to be right, though, with your statement: "If the current society wants to outlaw discrimination by sex, hey we have things called legislatures, and they enact things called laws."

I can see where a Congress made up entirely of ambitious men would rush to create laws giving women the exact same opportunities they themselves enjoyed. If the Supreme Court hadn't forced their hand on several occasions, I bet they would have decided to create those laws on their own. In fact, in modern day 2010, you NEVER hear about gender discrimination.

It's good to know we ladies have such strong support on the modern Supreme Court!

XOXO,
Eljabo

No comments: