Saturday, April 09, 2011

I Like the Midwest!

I live in Ohio. Yeah, it's not glamorous, but people are super nice, there are plenty of affordable houses with yards and you can appear in public wearing yoga pants. It's a trifecta of perfection!

Today, I'm starting my Saturday right with Real Housewives of New York and a giant cup of coffee. On the episode, bug-eyed Ramona was hiring an assistant. (I really shouldn't make fun of her for being bug-eyed as I also have giant eyes and often look like Charles Manson in pictures.)

Ramona was interviewing a poor girl right out of college. The girl was clearly nervous - she was probably not expecting to have her first-ever interview on camera. Ramona ridiculed her personality, critiqued her outfit and gave her a skin-care sample, telling her she obviously needed help with her skin.

What was the horrendous outfit, you might ask. The poor girl was wearing a fuchsia dress with a grey suit jacket and black hose. Hideous, right? (Sadly, it was something I totally would wear although I probably wouldn't be creative enough to pair a grey jacket with a fuchsia dress.) Ramona's critique: "That looks very mid-western. You shouldn't wear the jacket and you should always wear nude hose."

As a Midwesterner, I'm tired of "Midwestern" being used as an insult. I choose to live here. I've been to New York and I've been to Chicago and I've been to Los Angeles. They are lovely places to visit, but I prefer Ohio. I'm not exactly a hillbilly.

Yes, maybe you don't wear black hose in New York, but you also pay millions of dollars to live in a shoe-box. That is not a good time!

I wish they'd make a Real Housewives of Columbus or Real Housewives of Pittsburgh. I would totally watch those!

No comments: