Saturday, April 30, 2011

Taking the Fat Outta My Cat

I'm a bad cat mother.

I took my cat Zoe to see her dermatologist last week. (Yes, she has a dermatologist.) Needless to say, she was thrilled. My favorite part was when I saw the notes the tech gave the vet. "Mom says she seems itchier." Yep, I'm officially Zoe's mom.

Although her allergy treatments are going swimmingly, her weight is not. She's gained a whopping two pounds since November. She's starting to resemble one of those roly-poly bugs. In fact, when she jumps on the bed at night, I always know it's her by the way our bed shakes.

Zoe's a bit obsessed with food - every time she passes the bowl, she starts to chow down. In fact, Simon and I laugh whenever we hear a cat munching -- "Oh that must be Zoe."

To keep her from turning into a giant blob, I'm going to start feeding the kitties twice a day.
I started this plan today and I feel TERRIBLE.

I took their food bowls away last night. I woke up to Zoe sitting on me, purring loudly and gnawing on my fingers.

I put their food out at 7 a.m. and took it away at 7:30 a.m. Now whenever I get up, Zoe sits by her water dish, hoping I put the food back.

I feel awful, terrible, horrible, miserable and sad. I don't want Zoe to be hungry. But, I also don't want her to end up with diabetes or any other weight-related diseases.

I just have to keep telling myself I'm doing the right thing.





No comments: