Monday, July 25, 2011

Why Yoga May Not Be My Thing

I've been taking yoga classes in order to get more zen in my life. I've flirted with yoga before, but it never took.

Last week, I took a yogalates class, which was a blend between yoga and pilates. It was one of the warmest days of the week (pushing 100). I made it through the class OK. I could do most of the movies and managed not to do anything too terribly ridiculous.

The last part of class was the relaxation part. I usually have a hard time shutting down my mind during this part and it's usually an active relaxation. The instructor has us squeeze all of the tension out of the various parts of our bodies.

This time, we spent the time lying still, concentrating on our breathing. The music was trance-like. The room was warm. I felt myself nodding off. I kept trying to wake myself up. It was like I was floating in a giant sea. Suddenly, I heard a loud noise - a grunt, moan, snort -- something spectacular like that and I felt myself moving my arms. Yep, I had fallen asleep and been startled awake. Not sure if anyone noticed, it felt loud to me but I find the sound of myself eating potato chips to be unbearably loud, so I'm not the best judge of what I sound like to others.

A few minutes later, the instructor said, "That's enough relaxation." I booked it out of the building as fast as I could.

I should be happy that I was able to relax to that extent and I should be sad that I'm that sleep deprived. I don't think I'll be going back to yogalates, however.

No comments: