The hit of the month for me was the Baked Cherry Tomato Sauce. Simon hated it, but I loved it so much, I'm declaring it the winner!
Phenomenal (would make again)
- Inside-Out Stuffed Cabbage (Healthy Cooking magazine) - the cheddar cheese really made this extra delicious. But then, what doesn't cheese improve?
- Eggplant Parmesan (Winged it - based on a combo of recipes) - I used Muir Glen's Portabello Mushroom Pasta sauce and I've decided it's my new favorite bottled pasta sauce. It has such a rich flavor. Eggplant Parmesan is hit or miss with me when I make it. This time, I used a broiling rack on top of a baking pan and baked the eggplant first until it was brown and crispy. Then, I did the whole cheese and pasta sauce thing and baked it some more. It was REALLY good.
- Taco Soup -- one of the few recipes I repeat regularly -- only this time I cooked it on the stove.
- Baked Cherry Tomato Sauce (Smitten Kitchen blog)-- I think this might be one of my most favorite things I've ever cooked. Simon wouldn't touch the tomatoes - I didn't realize his aversion went as far as cooked tomatoes. I don't like raw tomatoes, but I still thought this was delicious. The cherry tomatoes practically popped in my mouth.
Great (probably would make again)
- OMG Oven Baked Onion Rings (Appetite for Reduction cookbook)
- Zucchini-Blueberry Bread (Gush Gourmet blog)
- Peach Avocado Smoothie - chopped up a peach and blended it with 1/2 avocado, unsweetened vanilla coconut milk and ice.
- Jalapeno Poppers (Weight Watchers)
Eh (wouldn't make again)
- Baked Okra -- I can't remember where I found this recipe, but essentially, I left the okra pods intact (chopping off the stem). I dipped them in egg whites, bread crumbs and baked. It was a vast improvement on slimy gumbo okra, but sucked compared to any other vegetable on earth.
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies (Two Peas & Their Pod blog) -- I thought these were good - just not as good as brownies without zucchini.
Blech (would never ever make again)
- Smoked Sausage Gumbo (Cooking Light community boards) - I've learned that I do not like okra in a soup. It's slimy and disgusting and awful.
- Zucchini Bread (The Bread Lover's Bread Machine cookbook) -- This didn't mix up all the way and looked absolutely disgusting. I think it-was my fault, however, because I subbed applesauce for the oil.